Monday, April 16, 2012

Girls Inc.

Last September, I began volunteering in the "Big Sister" program at Girls Inc. in Manchester, NH.  My "little", Alisha, is an eleven-year-old fifth-grader.  Throughout the past seven months, one of my favorite parts of the week has been visiting with Alisha.

At Girls Inc., Alisha and I do arts and crafts (this past week, we made "goo" -- a substance that is solid when you apply pressure to it, but liquid when you let it sit -- very messy, but tons of fun!), color, play games, do homework, and just talk.

Frequently, Alisha and I write each other cards and notes or draw pictures for each other.  Several weeks ago, Alisha pulled a card out of her backpack that she had made for me.  It thanked me for being her big sister and she wrote how much she enjoys spending time with me, and drew a picture of the two of us together on the back.  This was one of the most touching gifts I have ever received.  To know that I have made such a difference on her life by simply spending time with her is something that I am humbled by. 

When I signed up to be a big sister, not only did I not realize that I would have such an impact on Alisha's life, but I also did not realize what a profound impact she would have on my life.  Through mentoring Alisha, I have discovered first-hand  the power everyone has to make a difference in the lives of other people. 

I encourage everyone to try to make a difference in the lives of those around them and seek new opportunities; you never know how rewarding they may be. 


For more information on Girls Inc., visit http://girlsincnewhampshire.org/.

"To the world, you're just one person, but to one person you can mean the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment